View Single Post
Old
02-04-2014, 08:02 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
On the home stretch - 3 rounds left. I think it might be time to think about who are must-adds on our list.

My thoughts -

1) Petrov and Nedomansky have to be on our list, probably this round. I don't even have to check to know that they were the top 2 from my round 1 list who are yet to be added. I'm planning on focusing my energies on Nedomasky this round. When I was doing research as to whether he was primarily a center or a right wing in Czechoslovakia, I came around more than one report by North American scouts that called him the best player in Europe in the early 70s - quite impressive when you consider his competition. I really hope that google archives' current partial lack of functionality won't prevent me from finding them again and posting for us to evaluate. And Nedomansky was something like Larionov in that he came to North America after his prime and played very well, first in the WHA, then in the NHL where he actually led a bad Red Wings team in scoring once season.

2) Larionov and Savard have to be in our top 60 somewhere, though I have Larionov below Petrov and I'll have him below Nedomansky if what I suspect about Nedomansky's peak in Europe holds up.

3) If Fredrickson and MacKay are indeed the "next best" PCHA centers after Taylor (and I think they probably were), they need to make our top 60 somewhere.

4) Duke Keats needs to make our top 60, probably not this round, but in one of the last 2 rounds. Impact player in the NHA before the First World War, lost prime years to fight the war, came back and rather than rejoining the NHA, he became the face of the "Big 4" prairie league which would later turn into the WCHL and attract players such as Bill Cook, Frank Boucher, and Eddie Shore. Basically owned the WCHL All Star center spot until Fredrickson stole it from him once, then went back to the NHL and finished 9th and 10th in scoring in a consolidated NHL in his age 31 and 32 seasons. Excellent longevity as an impact player for a player of that era, especially for one who played a game as physical as Keats.

I'll listen to arguments for adding any of the other candidates, even over some of the ones I listed above if the case is good enough. But right now, I don't think it would be a travesty if any of the others missed our top 60.
I don't understand the "this player must make the list " argument. I thought this was this to be the opinion of the people voting, not the " this player must make Our list to make it look legit". Out of the players in the above list, I think that Savard, Lemaire, Nedomansky are shoo-ins for Me. Lafontaine isn't a top 60 Center in My eyes and neither is Sundin.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote