View Single Post
02-04-2014, 05:50 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Barry is in so I won't belabor the point but in the top 60 dman project there were great lengths taken to show how great and important Shore was in the playoffs to that Boston team.

If Barry truly was the clearly best playoff performer last round, then those Bruins teams underachieved given all of the top 60 talent accolades given to those teams and players by this group generally (Shore, Clapper, Barry, Thompson and MaKay is 30).

true some of Barry's best playoff performances were with the Wings but those teams alot had extremely good depth scoring in the playoffs as well.
... Mackey?!?!?!

Here is a list of forwards 33 and + that played in the NHL in 29-30, a year that saw rule changes which, at first glance, appears to favour players which had great speed. Something older players tend to lose or to have lost :

- Bill Cook is a Top-40 player of all-time and, conservative guesstimate, a Top-8 RightWinger of all time. We're currently looking at players in the 150-225 range. He was 33.

- Ty Arbour was at first glance a seviceable winger in the PCHL who had a somewhat lacklustre career in the NHL. Not sure he would have gotten a job in a 6-team league. But it was a 10-teams league. He was 33.

- Frank Fredrikson did pretty well on a VERY, VERY terrible team in a short stint. He was 34. Not sure what to make of this.

- Don't know if Reg Noble was an eligible player for this process, but he did play quite a bit of D in his career and I don't know if he was a D or a F for that particular season. A quick perusal of games played tells me he was a D. He was 33, on a bad team, and I guess he could have been a decent candidate for a Bottom-10 spot on the round 1 lists. If he was a F, he was no better than Mackey offensively. If he was a D, well, it's irrelevant, as speed requirements weren't quite the same.

- I don't know who is Herb Drury, but I don't think it'S relevant, and he did worse than Mackey. He was 34.

- Mickey Mackey -- fighting for some icetime on a team that might have been overly favoured by the changes, good defensively by all accounts, clearly on the downside of his career, that was decently long... as the current post shows. Age 35.

- Frank Nighbor, a Top-8 center of all-time according to this very project, toiling between average teams in a year that might have been too much for him, even though he probably had its uses. Age 37.

Frankly, how to expect a +- Top-175 player of all-time to excel in not favourable conditions, when the only guy who did excel was a Top-40 player (and two years younger...)?... I don't know, really.

Last edited by MXD: 02-04-2014 at 06:38 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote