View Single Post
Old
02-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLACHnME View Post
Dave Keon had about ten years of gas left. He was still playing (well) when Hartford joined the NHL.

Keon would have been an excellent addition to Team Canada. In fact, if I had put the team together, I would have had a fourth line of Keon between Paul Henderson and Rejean Houle.

If I had put Team Canada together, meaning no ban of Bobby Hull, my lines would have looked like this:

Bobby Hull - Phil Esposito - Rod Gilbert

Frank Mahovlich - Jacques Lemaire - Yvan Cournoyer

Rick Martin - Gilbert Perreault - Marcel Dionne

Rejean Houle - Dave Keon - Paul Henderson

Imagine those lines facing the Soviets in proper shape and raring to go when the series began.
Nice. That's a great line up. But there are still a couple of guys missing. I think regardless you have to put Ratelle in there. The guy was the Pearson winner in 1972, had a phenomenal season that year. Pete Mahovlich still fits in there somewhere. And Bobby Clarke in my mind was good enough. I like that right side, lots of speed there. Not sure Rick Martin should be there either. He did make the original team but I never thought he was good enough then either. Lafleur might have been a better fit with his speed. But either way, I'd take Houle out of there. If you are going to put someone that age as a checker, it may as well be Clarke. Or someone more seasoned like Pete.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote