View Single Post
Old
02-06-2014, 12:09 AM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
No we wouldnt have. Sather does not operate that way....look at history of his trades, other than the Carter for Jagr deal, you dont see many big deals coming (and some one would argue they didnt see the jagr deal coming):

McDonagh deal no one saw coming

Gaborik deal last year didnt see coming.

Even the Clowe deal was no sure thing and not a ton of open coverage around it...heck clowe turned down a deal to SJ before coming to us

Del Zotto for Klein.

Sather is tight lipped with this stuff. May be why he does so well with trades. Only the Nash deal was well documented.
Funny I didn't see Jagr coming, Lindros I did... and we all saw Gaborik going, just not where, that trade and the return (which I admittedly thought was lousy) was unpredictable but a typical Sather move. Clowe turned out to be a really bad trade.

As good as he is at trades, as far as prospects go, the only good one he's brought in in awhile was McDonagh. He can't trade for prospects worth a ****, his management team isn't drafting well, so if a player wants to develop on the Sather-path, he has to be a serviceable pro 5-10 years, belly-up and be claimed off waivers and get born again by desperation. Once in a while he'll sign a good undrafted guy, but for every Girardi is 47836580 Pocks, Gilroys, Heikkinens.

Remember the firesale of '04? Remember Immonen, Kondratiev, Balej? Me neither. But of course he's changed through the years.

Even still, I'm afraid of him trading for prospects, unless their guysss like Palmieri or Barkov or Burmistrov or Scheifele (REALLY hoped we'd draft him a few years ago), or something (I already know those will never happen). The point I'm making is, we need trade him for young/established (or getting there) talent. Not Foligno, or these other HF-6.5C guys people mentioned. Not Stewart either. He's not lazy, he's just not that good.

Last edited by BobMarleyNYR: 02-06-2014 at 12:15 AM.