View Single Post
Old
02-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
But where Phil, painful as it is? Youve got Esposito, Lemaire, Perreault & Keon, and Im not seeing Jean Ratelle surpassing nor bringing better all round & or specific skill sets to the party than those 4 guys. IMLACH's got some good balance there with the lines. Ratelle could prove invaluable as a spare with a short-shift game, replacing Keon or Lemaire every now & again. Used in certain situations, a handy piece to have on the bench for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLACHnME View Post
Big Phil, nobody was a bigger fan of the G.A.G. Line than yours truly. In the late 60s/early 70s I made a point of listening to the Rangers' games on the radio precisely because of that trio. That said, I can not be accused of overlooking or underestimating either of Rod Gilbert's linemates.

I'm glad you mentioned Vic Hadfield. Remember his first few seasons in the NHL? He was, then, a lot like Steve Ott, although maybe a little more willing to drop his gloves. With Jean Ratelle and Gilbert, #11 became a legitimate goal scorer, and, yes, remained such with the Penguins.

Gilbert may be remembered as a shooter, but, as his statistics and Hadfield's goal-scoring demonstrate, he was actually quite a playmaker. Imagine how effective he would have been with Phil Esposito and Bobby Hull, another 50-goal scorer like Hadfield.
I guess my logic is more or less along the lines of "which player is too good to leave off the team?" To me Ratelle is the clear one here. He and Gilbert had played together time and time again. I just wouldn't break that pair up at all. Forget Hadfield, he doesn't fit on here. You just have to shuffle things up a bit I think. Put someone like Lemaire or Perreault on the wing and slot someone like Martin as a 13th forward. I'm not sold on Martin doing a heck of a lot as a youngster.

While the GAG line started out slow, it was Ratelle who had a couple of points in Game 8. Somehow, someway I put him on this team.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote