View Single Post
02-06-2014, 07:56 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by IMLACHnME View Post
Remember Ron Harris?... Had Harris been on the blueline of Team Canada in 1972, he might have done with his hips what Bobby Clarke accomplished with his stick.
Oh ya, I remember Ron Harris alright. Tragically he was involved in the Bill Masterton incident. Only ever gave one interview on the subject & just a few brief words.... But yes, not a real big guy, 180lbs, low penalty minutes but absolutely feared for his devastating checking abilities. Like being hit by a Freight Train straight up like a Vadnais or Gadsby, and a Master of the Hip Check. I didnt really like him as I thought he was a bit dirty with those Submarine Hits like the one you mentioned on Esposito.

He was terrific with the Rangers, though usually used as a 5th Defenseman, sometimes playing on the Wing. Wasnt a designated fighter at all but but he sure did numbers on people when riled, Bob Hound Dog Kelly in particular. Dornhoffer. Often put out on the Wing against Schultz who had nothing good in mind for Rod Gilbert. Remember seeing him deck Yvon Cournoyer in a playoff game after the Roadrunner cheap shotted Ed Giacomin. No penalty on it as it happened so fast. Just drove him with a straight right, knocked him out, skates away like nothing happened. Oblivious.

Not sure he wouldve been ideal though IMLACH. But I see your point & agree. You check someone like a Kharlamov or whomever cleanly, no problem, but you dont go looking for him. If the opportunity arises, you check the guy, dont be sending him into the infirmary & next week, beat him & the Soviets or whomever fair & square. If it just so happens that someone does get felled like a Redwood ala Stevens on Lindros or whatever, well, thats hockey. Head down? Your a goner. The Soviets didnt play with their heads down & with the constant movement hard to hit, illusive, great skaters. We had the wheels & guns to beat them that way as well, and thats the kind of talent I wanted out there representing Canada. Best foot forward.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote