View Single Post
Old
02-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
2 of the major reasons for the one piece is the added velocity and the other the weight of the sticks.. wood 'n aluminium are heavier sticks.. i have an easton aluminium, easton composite (cheap older ones, not the one piece) and an easton wooden at my folks place and the weight difference is very much noticeable between the 3, the composite is taped up and its still lighter than the aluminium (which has a lot less tape) and by far then the wooden which isnt even taped.. the one piece's ive seen are rediculously light..
that being said.. JD mentioned a wooden stick which is hollowed out in the middle and in that area, they insert a "honeycomb" structure that increases the tensile strength and lightens the load a lot..
as part of this study, they also got together the stick manufacturers and others as well so they can find a way to make the sticks better/stronger.. for example making certain parts more stronger (the parts that we see break most often) etc, etc..
as far as im concerned as a hockey fan, only good can come out of this lol

I think that hollowed out one is either Bauer 5000?, or a Franklin. I really think the shafts are the best so far...they're light, have a wicked kick and break less frequently than the one piece variety. Something has to be done about them, but what happens to the goal scoring when they eliminate them? One other thing also, if you're playing minor hockey you're crazy not to be using the composite shaft opposed to the one piece...You can pick a curve as you break your blades...it can be tricky to find the right one, usually trial and error. I say this for Minor Hockey players as a lot of rep players don't pay for their own sticks up here.