View Single Post
Old
02-07-2007, 10:43 AM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
After watching this guy for more than half a season now, I can't figure out what it is that this guy does well. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's not a terrible hockey player or anything, he has speed and some tenacity and every once in a while he gets off a good shot.

But for all the people who said over the summer that he was a key cog in the Canes cup run, I just don't see it. Those assets I mentioned above very rarely come together all at the same time to produce a great shift.

In the Versus production of last Monday's game against the Bruins they show some of his nice plays during the playoffs, him sharply running the Canes power play from the point, and some terrific rushes up the ice. That didn't look like the Matt Cullen we've been watching this year, although ironically that night was the one good game he's had recently on the COP line.

In fairness to Cullen, Renney has not used him on the point, but nothing about his game this year resembles anything we saw last year. I want to blame Renney, but I don't know if that's fair. It looks like Cullen is trying out there, he's not gliding around the ice like Jagr and Malik, but for some reason it never seems to come together for him, at least not for more than the occasional game or two here and there.

Thoughts?
I thought the same & then while I was the Virgin Megastore last week, I picked up the Canes Stanley Cup DVD season review.. He was AWESOME. So was Ward. They showed highlights of Cullen doing some sick stuff. He's clearly not being used the same way as he was in Carolina.

I think Ward just needs a season in NY to get his feet on the ground. I'm sure he'll be MUCH better next season (down the stretch)

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote