View Single Post
Old
02-07-2014, 02:58 AM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I don't think that this team needs more offence "on paper" than it currently has. To me, this team needs:

1) Better d-men to move the puck quickly out of the zone, instead of the old brain-dead "shoot it around the boards back to the other team's defenseman at the point."

2) Top 6 forwards that are better at retrieving and protecting the puck deep in the offensive zone. Part of the reason that we hardly get any offensive zone time against the elite teams is that after we dump the puck in, our smurf forwards get eaten alive by the other team's d-men due to being physically over matched.

What I'm saying is that down-grading our offence on paper may actually make it better if we can acquire the two things that I mentioned above. I'm not suggesting putting 10 goal 3rd line plugs in our top 6, but there are guys of the 20 goal, 40 point ilk that we should be looking to acquire for the top 6. These types of forwards may look like downgrades on paper, but the ability to retrieve and protect the puck is an absolutely crucial ability that our smurfs are lacking, despite that it isn't always noticeable on the scoresheet.
Why do we have to do a Kings model and dump it in with our top six?

Making plays off the rush and trying to get a shot on every zone entry seems more of a way to utilize our speed more effectively. At least with Hall and Yak, for example. Then get a decent cycle going once you've at least had a chance. Gordon and the bottom six can grind it out down low, but I feel like our chances off the rush have greatly decreased this season.