View Single Post
Old
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
overg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
I've also read somewhere that Lemieux said LaFontaine's presence in the league and the "rivalry" he brought helped Lemieux motivate himself to raise his game, or something along that line. That's quite a compliment, coming from Lemieux.
This may or may not be what you are talking about, and my memory may or may not be a little fuzzy on this. In other words, don't put too much stock in this unless others can verify . . .

I do remember a lot of friendly banter going around while Lemieux was out with cancer in '93 that Mario was just giving LaFontaine (and Turgeon, Yzerman, Oates, others toward the top of the scoring race) a chance to catch up. My vague recollections were that Lemieux was joking around that LaFontaine would be a good challenge for him, given that he was expecting to miss over a quarter of the season.

It's possible you're referencing other comments by Lemieux, and it's even possible the jokes I'm attributing to Lemieux were actually made by other players or reporters about Lemieux's absence.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote