View Single Post
02-07-2014, 03:53 PM
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I want a player that can become another championship building block with our picks. I don't want the most appealing or sexy pick based on potential and points production.
I won't enumerate all the condition or factor to consider for our selection because there are so many.

But IMO in the current NHL, I identified 2 key factors that separate the bottom team from the elite team.

1. Depth at every position (the best teams have drafted a great combination of skill players and character players from center to winger, defenseman and even goaltending positions)

2. Size and Skills (All the top teams above us in the ranking have bigger top 6 players. I would always rather select the most skilled over the bigger less skilled player but size does mater, more specifically in the playoff. When 4 (Desharnais, Plekanec, Gionta, Gallagher) of our top 6 offensive players are under 6' it has a long-term effect (as see more recently with our erratic play) and it becomes harder when it mater the most in the playoff where everything gets more physical.)

Our weaknesses:
From the habs depth chart we are definitely lacking right handed winger, right handed center as well as left handed two way defenseman.

2014 draft:
I personally think that we have to keep our 2014 picks and if it could be possible to acquire more it would be even better.

Why ? : Our core players are very young (Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Subban, Price) and in 2 or 3 years they would all be at their peak. So it's imperative for us to provide more depth and potentially develop more NHLer for the next 2 to 3 years from our prospect pool. In 2 years if everything goes accordingly and we get bigger/skilled players as well with more depth, then it would be appropriate to sacrifice picks for more established players to help us for our cup run.

Who we should target (considering our lack of positional depth): (l provided a list of 10 players)

1. Sam Reinhart (Right handed center, very very doubtful we have a chance to draft him other than by trading up. I see him becoming a great 1st/2nd line center)

2. Haydn Fleury (Amazing two way defenseman a future top 4 defenseman in the NHL. Again very very doubtful we get a chance to draft him unless we trade up)

3. Jake Virtanen (Very fast with a very good shot but a bit inconsistent. He is very similar to a right handed version of Pacioretty)

4. Alex Tuch (He can play either wing or center. He likes to use his size and he has enough offensive skills to develop as a potential top 6 player)

5. Conner Bleackley (Two way right handed center with good speed. He can develop as a very good 2nd/3rd line center in the NHL. Similar to Curtis Lazar from last year draft, less of a goal scorer tough)

6. Nick Schmaltz (Dynamic right handed center. Very smart and very dangerous. Good upside. Very similar to Pavelski. A bit undersized for our need)

(7/8/9). William Nylander (Elite offensive skillset but can he develop more defensive awareness ?. Undersized. Boom or bust type of pick)

(7/8/9). Kasperi Kapanen (See Nylander description but from Finland)

(7/8/9). Josh Ho-Sang (See Nylander description but from Canada)

10. Brycen Martin (Puck moving defenseman with upside to become a top 4. Could develop more of an offensive game)

(HM: David Pastrnak (Offensive winger with great hands but inconsistent. Similar to David Perron)