View Single Post
Old
02-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well are we reading too much into Stauffer's offhanded "Europe" comment though?

I mean was he just pondering or do you think he had some real insight when he made that comment?

Hard to know I suppose... but the fact he specifically mentioned Europe does somewhat seem like he might know "something" as most people would tend to concentrate on roster players and more "immediate" assets available in the here and now in NA.
Absolutely not. I remember bringing it up last year when Stauffer made a comment early last season (February i believe) that there was a former Oilers d-man playing in Russia that management could possibly bring in the next year. I made the conclusion that he was either talking about Grebeshkov or Tarnstrom in my post and sure enough, Grebeshkov was signed in the offseason.

EDIT: Found it

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...eshkov&page=22

Quote:
Anyone catch Oilers Now today?

He said in the offseason the Oilers will try to sign a puck moving defenceman. As of the moment, Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry are the only 2 true puck movers. He thinks we need 3-4 by the start of the next season.
His quote was something along the lines of:
"If they're lucky, they'll get a guy like Mark Streit. If not, they might have to sign a guy from Europe that's played for this team in the past. Remember that (or 'Keep that in mind')"

That's not word for word, but its pretty damn close.

There is but 2 puck-moving defencemen from the past Oilers that is currently playing in Europe:

Denis Grebeshkov, Age 29
He actually put up really nice numbers in his last 2 years in Edmonton (39 pts in 72 games, 19 pts in 47 games) but then only has 7 points in his 41 games this year, and 8 in 46 last year. Both in KHL.

Dick Tarnstrom, Age 38
Must have been or currently injured as he's played 6 games this year, but last year put up a respectable 26 points in 46 games in the SEL. Based on his age, I think Grebeshkov is the more likely candidate.

Daniel Tjarqvist is also playing in Europe, but was he considered a puck-moving defenceman? Hadn't had more than 15 assists in an NHL season.

Are the Oilers really considering signing Denis Grebeshkov? Does he have ties in Edmonton?
And that was 5 months before the signing.

Last edited by Bergeron47: 02-07-2014 at 06:29 PM.