View Single Post
Old
02-01-2004, 06:15 AM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Salary cap and the Jagr contract...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I think Kolzig's future is very up in the air. You can see it in the comments. If the Caps trade lang and gonchar and bondra, he wants out. if the caps intend keep as many as they can and try put together a competitive team, he wants to stay.

Its my feeling that like Bondra he is willing to be helpful with his contract if Ted wants to win in the near term.

so...what do you do? you have these 4 guys that have apparantly told they owner they want to stay, if they will build a team around them and are willing to help with their contracts.

I know that some of you really want them all traded and to start from scratch.
the new cba could well put the players the capitals need to fill the roster correctly at the Caps ability to get with the right kind of salary capsmenship.
An interesting question would be how the 5 million per season the Caps are picking up of the Jagr deal will be handled if there is a hard cap or luxury tax. Should be counted against the Capitals and so, their budget has to factor in that 5 million.

Caps also have to look at the lengths of the contracts of their 4 guys. Kolzig has 2 years after this season remaining. Lang has 3 years left. Bondra is a UFA and should be moved. Gonchar, I've heard is a RFA at season's end. And who knows, Gonch was taken in the 1992 draft, which makes him 30 sometime in 2004. He might even end up a UFA after the CBA is hammered out.