View Single Post
Old
02-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
EJ Hradek of ESPN the Magazine co-hosts a hockey show on Sirius.Yesterday Hradek said Cliche was an OK prospect after talking with an amateur scout friend(who has seen Cliche play numerous times)of his about the Rangers trade
Yeah, I've heard similar comments. The thing is I've also heard other takes on Cliche that are far more glowing. Various comments from some of his WJC coaches and staff come to mind. Cliche was a Ranger prospect I still believe has much more potential than is generally perceived.

Sather was basically able to make the case to Lombardi that Cliche was in essence a first round pick. That being said I think Lombardi knows what he is doing and is a very shrewd GM. I think he wanted Avery gone and he wanted a good return for him.

The more I think about it the more I think it's basically a good risk for both sides. The Rangers get a guy with qualities they are sorely lacking pre-trade, but who also has potential issues attached. Those "issues" give Sather a bit of leverage in the deal. The Kings get rid of a guy with "issues" and get a very nice prospect in return.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote