View Single Post
Old
02-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Killion

vCash: 500
^^^ yep, Ditto on that one. Though I was actually as much a fan of the Canadiens as I was the Leafs & Chicago, Roger Crozier in particular & Detroit for two years mid-60's based on his tremendous play & the interesting players on the Wings. Boston & New York not so much, not until Giacomin came along, Orr & Company with the Bruins. I was more a "fan" of the entire league, appreciating each team & its players rather than strictly "Hometown Toronto".

But ya, loved the Habs of the 60's. Oddly, I preferred Charlie Hodge to Worsley. Gumper was great, but just something of the Beach Ball about him that didnt do much for me. Defensively terrific as were the Leafs of course but combined with their artistry up-front, far more dynamic, entertaining. Some smaller players with speed to burn, one of my favorites Henri Richard.

On the blue line, Jacques Laperriere. Enjoyed studying those guys. Some serious smarts, hockey crafts & IQ. Of course I wasnt immune to being a local FanBoy come playoff time in hoping the Leafs would triumph, absolutely. But you sure couldnt help but admire Toe Blake, Beliveau. Just some incredible series against Toronto that on so many levels transcended just the game of hockey. Consider myself very fortunate to have witnessed all of that and at a formative age.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote