View Single Post
Old
02-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Burnt Biscuits

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
You mean, trying out players is mismanagement? I always considered mismanagement to be not getting rid of players that cant play their position.
Spending assets to acquire players who more than likely don't fit into your teams long term plans when you are a rebuilding is usually not a good thing, you rarely are able to acquire someone and then turn around and flip them for better or equal value quickly, I really can't think of any recent examples of this. If we want to trade for Luke Schenn I'd prefer to do it at the draft not mid-season.

Let's just say for arguments sake, we trade for Luke Schenn right at the trade deadline, we end up 2nd overall at the draft, with Buffalo drafting the center they want, we step up to podium and take Ekblad. Training camp roles around Ekblad shows that he is very mature and looks to be twice the player that Luke Schenn is, do we send him down or do we do the right thing and play him. At that point Schenn is the 4th man in the pecking order of our right handed D-men hes eating popcorn in the players box, when we finally do get around to trading him, do you think we will get back equivalent value to what we paid for him?

It's not as bad as I originally thought it would be cause I thought Fedun was waiver eligible next year and he's not and I thought Fraser and L. Schenn played the same side, which they don't. So Fraser could end up in N. Schultz's spot to end the season if we trade him. That said I don't believe in Luke Schenn as a player, you can let the draft number tempt you into thinking he is a great reclamation project, but I'm not biting. He's better than Cam Barker, but we got enough projects and young players on D, we don't need to go out of our way and try to acquire more of them.