View Single Post
Old
02-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Indeed, Waxy is hosting the SIHR AGM this may in Penetang. It's going to be about an 18-hour drive for me, but I'm going.
That'll be fun. Not unlike Fredericton with Chestnut Canoe Company & a couple of other smaller pleasure craft manufacturers, Penetang has a long history of boat building, most notably Grew, originally woodies, Greavette with a shop along with Butson & others.Some of the Corbeau clan employed by them, certainly Bert an avid boater himself himself.

The Penetang Sports Hall of Fame has over 150 individuals who have been inducted since opening in 87 or so, all from SE Georgian Bay & environs. I was quite surprised to learn that it even existed frankly, that Pierre Pilote was/is their "Ambassador". Unaware he'd retired to the general area. Grew up in Konogami Quebec moving to Fort Erie Ontario. Not sure why Wyevale of all places but hey-ho.

In addition to the Corbeaus, the Penetang Hall of Fame also inducted Andy Bellehumer, Howard & George McNamara, Vic Grigg & Bunn Deschamps of early hockey history, Don Tannahill & others of later periods all from the area. Early to late 19th Century quite an influx of Francophones from Quebec. I know the area well, Corbeau a fairly extended family of offspring & common name that wasnt anglicized as so many were.... Penetang was of course important strategically and fortified by the British very early in Canadian history as your likely aware. Lovely little town & area, beautiful natural harbor. Worth the trip.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote