View Single Post
Old
02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLACHnME View Post
The number 7 is retired, in honor of Rod Gilbert. Had it been retired in honor of the Rangers' greatest player, none of the others - Phil Watson, Don Raleigh, Red Sullivan or Gilbert - would have had an opportunity to wear it.

That's why I would prefer it if numbers were not retired, but the deserving players would be honored by having a large jersey-shaped banner, with the name and number, hanging from the rafters. But that would also mean that any player, in this case a Ranger, who wanted to wear a number 1, 7 or 9 or whatever would have to establish himself as a star before being allowed to wear the number. Unlike Evander Kane in Winnipeg.
Agree completely. Aussie Rules football does this really well IMO. Once you become established in the senior team you get given a jumper # based on the quality/attributes that you sure with past players and so the club's history continues on the field. I used to love sitting with my dad at the footy and him talking about all the players he could remember from his youth who wore the same numbers.

Another nice touch is that in the locker room, each locker has the name and playing years of every player who has ever worn that number for the club.

Both nice touches that I'd love to see the Rangers/NHL adopt

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote