Old
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Let me ask you guys something.

This team missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons up until last year. In the offseason Shanahan took less money to come to New York, and the Rangers were able to sign 2 pretty respectable players from a Stanley Cup Winning team in Cullen and Ward, plus Rachunek came back and so did Straka, not to mention the fact that the team was no longer the laughing stock of the league as they finally earned some respect and attention. These players wanted to play for this team.

If you are the management of the Rangers and you want to lure some big free agents to come here over the summer (like everyone is talking about - a defensman and a real top center), you have to spike their interest in the team. How is missing the playoffs going to help that? You cant dangle a huge contract in front of them either cuase thats the old way of the rangers and the its not smart in the new NHL cap world.

SO do you really expect the Rangers not to make a legitamate push for the playoffs and become sellers?

Going back to square one isnt going to help this team right now.

Now of course they dont want to sell the farm off to get a rental, but if they can make and upgrade that can help in the shortrun and hopefully spur this team into the playoffs you can beat your ass they are gonna make it, even if its considered by some to be too late.

Even if its blatantly evident that this team is not a playoff squad, the Rangers will want to retain some of what was accomplished last season. Hey if the Rangers find a way to make the playoffs and win just 1 game.... it will be considered an improvement from last year.

Dellapina opened my eyes to this. Even though i am just as frustrated as everyone else in thinking that they might become sellers, this is probably whats gonna happen IMO too.
I think the only F/A the Rangers will sign this offseason is a high profile center (not including guys they already have)

I think they see Marc Staal as their savior and therefore dont need to have another defenseman signed to a 200 million dollar contract or whatever.

Our D could look something like this next year:

Staal Tyutin

Rozsival Rachunek

Baranka Girardi

malik, pock, etc are traded/released/sign elsewhere.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote