View Single Post
Old
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
27theROCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
I didn't talk Lupul. I was talking about Matt Greene. I think Lupul would command a bit more than Babchuk in return. I think Dave would agree.

First of all, Chicago didn't give up on Babchuk. They have and still do have an absolute glut of young defensemen.

Cam Barker
Brent Seabrook
Duncan Keith
Lasse Kukkonen
James Wisniewski
Jim Vandermeer

Right there is a decent Top 6 and they're all pretty young players. Chicago needed scoring and needed a straight up offensive minded defenseman. Enter Carolina with Radim Vrbata and Danny Richmond and the trigger was pulled.

As for Babchuk not being good enough to make this team, that's obviously false. He's played in almost every game of the season so far and has been one of our more consistant defensemen already at just 22 years old. The reason he was sent down is because we have 10 defensemen on our roster and only one was able to go down without having to clear waivers. Carolina wanted to showcase David Tanabe and Andrew Hutchinson for possible deals and I can assure you that Babchuk would have been down a week at most until he was called back up. He's a key piece to what Carolina is trying to do.

Just because a player fails to report doesn't make his trade value non-existent. I still feel he's a better player and prospect than Matt Greene, but wouldn't be heartbroken if the deal had to go down that way.
Fair enough but i would have to say that Greene has the edge over Babs. Do not get me wrong i think he is a nice player and i think you robbed him from Chicago, but Greene is domminant physically and extremly relaible on the back end and he is what 22 or 23? I think that failing to report makes his trade value alot lower than before. Now i hear the other post where you guys think that something was worked out to sit him for a bit but i dont think its fair to say oh he is an amazing dman because you dont see teams sitting there top dman just to get lesser players ice time.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote