View Single Post
Old
02-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Well to be fair, Canada is one of the most versatile teams at the Olympics. We can pull medals from almost every sport. If Canada isn't a powerhouse, I'm not really sure who would be.

Agree that the downhill is the most prestigious event. But it is only one medal set available. You can say Canada isn't a powerhouse since they aren't competitive in it, but then Austria and Switzerland aren't competitive in speed skating or any freestyle skiing or snowboarding events. Same goes for Norway who dominates cross country and biathlon but is a factor in little else.

Thinking about it now, there aren't really that many events that are "heavily contested" as far as having a wide variety of nations contending for medals. Practically every event has only a handful of countries that claim the medals year after year.
Well heres an odd thing to consider in view of what I stated about Canada doing well in newer events and disciplines.

Outside of the events introduced subsequent to say the Calgary Olympics in 88 Canada doesn't get a whole lot of medals. In the more traditional disciplines Canada doesn't fare too well at all.

Economically speaking, and per capita we're one of the few countries in the world that can throw huge coin and training and facility expense at some of the newer disciplines. So we tend to do well in those disciplines.

We're one of the larger contingents as well if I recall at these games.

The own the podium has done well, I don't disagree, but I'd say its also around par for the course for the type of Athletes we pump out. We still have out and out Olympic disaster athletes like Jeremy Witherspoon, or Manuel Osbourne-Paradis who always underperform at Olympics.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote