View Single Post
Old
02-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well heres an odd thing to consider in view of what I stated about Canada doing well in newer events and disciplines.

Outside of the events introduced subsequent to say the Calgary Olympics in 88 Canada doesn't get a whole lot of medals. In the more traditional disciplines Canada doesn't fare too well at all.
Well this is true, but events introduced since 88 make up a large portion of the games now. Stuff like short track and ski moguls have been around long enough that they're not niche events that a couple countries ahead of the curve just pound on everyone. We rack up our medals in those events just like the Nordic countries rack them up in cross country and biathlon. I guess what I'm saying is I don't consider countries like Norway a powerhouse just because they dominate events that have been around longer.

But I do feel we're more versatile in the sense that we at least we do pull some medals from traditional sports, whereas say Norway and Austria are essentially non-entities outside of cross country or alpine skiing.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote