View Single Post
Old
02-11-2014, 09:24 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
But will that be good enough to go toe-to-toe with Chicago, StL, Anaheim in the West and challenge for a cup - especially considering that we have possibly the league's worst forward corps?

I don't see anyone of our middling B-level prospects turning into 80pt (or even 60pt) guys anytime in the near future. Maybe Forsberg, but putting alot of eggs in that basket.

The one UFA period we went out and spent, we signed a bunch of poor hockey players to bloated contracts. So I don't see help coming there, either.

If we trade Weber, we might not have the leagues best D corps. But if Jones pans out, we might have a top 10 D-corps, and with the pieces we get back, we might actually have a top-10 forward corps as well.

Or else we risk sitting here, 5-6 years from now, wondering what we have to show for the prime years of possibly the worlds best goalie and defenseman.

I could be totally wrong, and we could land an offensive gem with our 2014 draft pick, and Forsberg could turn into the best offensive player to come through our system since Radulov, and all our problems are solved. But I don't know if i'm betting on that.
But we wouldn't just lose a really good D-man with good stats. We'd be losing the captain, the leader. An elite, best (IMO) D-man in the world who is now the most tenured (by a number of years) on the blue line. I agree with what was already stated...If Weber is traded, we're in a full on rebuild that would take years.