View Single Post
Old
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
I Am Classless

vCash: 500
It almost felt like the McIlrath pick was made with an expectation of eternal Torts hockey. A big physical crease-clearer might have been the biggest need for those teams playing in that style. The roster and the system are different now. The team's set up to play a lot of "no-hitters" (without that even being much of a negative) and we have solid veteran stay at home guys, even if they're not super-physical.

I'm more worried about injury problems than I am about his development curve because I think he ends up somewhere in the NHL. You can make this argument about so many people, but I don't think it would take too much improvement in his skating and his shot to suddenly make him an extremely exciting player.

The McIlrath pick only "burns" NYR fans for two reasons. Fowler and Tarasenko are both looking good (and both would have been very reasonable picks for us to make at the time, both from "the board" and from their styles of play), and we don't get too many cracks at the top end of the draft.