View Single Post
Old
02-11-2014, 08:01 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsoftheSky View Post
The thing is, top pairing Dmen are much, much harder to acquire in a trade. Would it not be easier to draft a blue chip D prospect, develop him in the minors and trade Eberle + for a power forward?
Ya, I'm not saying the Oilers shouldn't draft Ekblad. If he's on the board when they pick then he's the obvious choice.

What I'm getting at is that a player with skill/size/speed capable of playing in the top 6 is basically VERY hard to obtain through trade or free agency as well.

They are arguably just as hard to obtain as a top pairing dman or a #2C.

This is why the Oilers were throwing $6 million and term at Clarkson... a guy who really isn't "that good" but he was and is something the team NEEDS in their lineup to compliment the rest of their smallish skilled guys.

It can certainly be argued that the Oilers need that type of player just as bad as a #2 C for example.

If Ekblad is gone and the Oilers were to draft Ritchie I'd be on board. Yes Reinhart would be a good pick as would Bennett but Ritchie would be just as good of a choice as well as it gives the team a type of player they likely won't be able to obtain easily on the market.