View Single Post
Old
02-12-2014, 04:18 AM
BlowbyBlow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I was with you until you said Gagner was selected based partially upon speed. The guy is not a fast skater. I would say skating / foot speed is one of his obvious limitations.
He is not ever been a great skater but he's not horrible either

Quote:
As far as short term replacement for Gagner. He is not quite as good offensively but Arcobello does just about everything else better than Gagner. He is faster, much much stronger on his skates, he hits often and pretty hard for his size, he wins draws, he is a solid PKer and he is a lot better than Gagner defensively. If we are talking short term replacement I would rather Arco playing in his spot right now. So that is not a big worry for me. Gagner does not fit the make up of this team and the make up of our top six makes him a bad match for this team. So MacT IMO needs to be looking for a more suitable replacement for Gagner even if he does not get traded and is still here. So yeah I will take Arco as a replacement in the meantime and be okay with that.
It stands to reason if Arco can do Gagner's role temporarily and even better. This team has not put huge expectations on Arco like Gagner and that could change if he's not capable of the position or more is expected. Brief stints on the line is fine but playing every game changes that fast.

Quote:
Not sure what you are getting at here. Gagner has been groomed as a 2C ever since he was drafted. It just so happens he is a 2C that sucks defensively, is not even remotely physical, loses just about every puck battle he gets into and usually falls down the process, he is terrible at face offs etc... I think his offense if you only look at that is nothing all that special but he has done fine for a 2C on offense if you only look at that one thing and nothing else.
I think fans after the first season expected he'd be more of a #2C but the expectation for points because of lack of defense has put more pressure on him. Which I sort of see happening with RNH - this team could never handle a situation where a player was taught more about defense for the sacrifice of offense. That's why i never am hard on RNH because most would expect everything from him and he has to learn the defense side of the puck first, and then be a offensive threat. Basically every team has 1 strong defensive first or second line center that has to sacrifice points to face other teams top players. That also indirectly is my answer to Arco if RNH doesn't step up fans will be down on him for being paired with guys to create offense/defense like Gagner (fans never really knowing what they want) - fans will point to Gagner's plus/minus other fans won't care about that but will be talking about points/game production.

At this point fans have to realize this team doesn't have one well rounded player who can be good/great offensive, and likewise with defense. You're either getting high powered offense (Hall, Yakupov), yet no defense, or the other way around.
[/QUOTE]