Thread: Trade Weber?
View Single Post
02-12-2014, 04:31 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think it's funny some our posters think the solution to our offensive problems are to trade our top 2 performers. I think if we are going to be a scoring by committee approach, we need to trade off those who are not contributing. Right now, Stahlberg, Cullen, Gaustad, Bourque, and Clune are not getting it done. .
I'm all for getting rid of those guys, but it's not like they have any trade value. Minimal value at best; negative trade value at worst for some.

We simply aren't going to be able to obtain needed offensive punch without giving up something that hurts. The only 2 possible quasi-solutions: 1) Packing Klein+.... but, we traded him for more defense, or 2) If someone goes crazy on trading for impending UFA Legwand (not holding my breath). I'd expect a later first or mid-grade prospect.

For guaranteed offensive punch, what we'd have to give up something that's going to hurt badly.

I'm not suggesting to trade Weber for that. But what people like to leave out in this scenario is that the vast majority of star players want to play for a winner, and Weber has eluded to that publicly before as well. I'd like to keep Weber, but the second he asks for trade, his trade value will go down (though we'd still get a substance return). IF Weber is only lukewarm on staying with the Predators for the remainder of his career, he should be traded. His value will never be higher. It's not going to fix everything all at once, but it would be a key piece to a rebuild.

However we as fans can only guess what's in Weber's head right now. It's up to Poile to get a pulse of his star players-- something he has failed at the last 3 years.

At this point, I'ld assume/hope that Weber wants to stay with the Predators indefinitely, and that Poile is not being naive and putting himself in a position to be blindsided again.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-12-2014 at 04:37 PM.