View Single Post
02-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
How have the Rangers not officially retired Gretzky's number? Even if you look at it from simply a marketing stand-point - which I would totally expect from the current Ranger regime. His number has been retired by the entire league, so it's retired anyway. I don't understand why they haven't had a ceremony for it and hung a red, white and blue 99 from the rafters.
I had so much fun watching him play when he was here. Yes, it was the twilight of his career, but there was a lot of what made him so very special still left. A very good friend of my mine hadn't seen him play very much and was somewhat skeptical when I would rave about him. We saw him play a lot the first (and every) season he was here and after a few games she understood why he was The Great One. The man knew where everyone was going to be on the ice, long before they even got there, much less knew they were going to be heading in that direction.

He may not pass the longevity test, but I would not be opposed to hanging 99 in the rafters.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote