View Single Post
Old
02-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
Hockey is the number 4 sport in NY, maybe lower.

Having said that, being #4 in NY is more popular than being #1 in probably 90% of the cities.

As someone said the sheer number of people in the area means the sport is going to have big numbers behind it, that's just the way NY works.

There are probably cities that are more rabid hockey fans (some by birth others by creative marketing gimicks that add a nice to spin to their otherwise filth and lack of charm) but I always felt it was really hard to say where exactly NY ranks.

There is just so much that drowns it out, but does a city that doesn't have as much going on (and thus pays more attention to hockey) necessarily mean it's a better hockey town? I never really believed that.

Another problem is that outside of a few good stretches, the Rangers have essentially been run like a joke for the majority of the last 67 years.

So to get back to the original question, yes I very much think it is. It just doesn't get reognized as such because there is so much going on.

At the end of the day you don't have just one team like a lot of the so called "hockey capitals" you actually have 3. That's one factor that gets overlooked way too easy.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote