View Single Post
Old
02-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Netro

vCash: 500
My Turn

The Good:
(a) Perezhogin's play. Showed taking the pass off boards and going to the net strong that he is working and has skill. Disagreed with the hooking penalty call on him, thought it was a good 'stick' check
(b) Latendresse's penalty shot goal: Got the puck upstairs and in a small space to score. That, was a goal scorers goal
(c) The Penalty Killing - Killing 7 of 8 Ottawa PPs is hopefully a sign that this unit is back at it

The Bad:
(a) Not scoring the first goal for the 7th straight game. This is big when the team's confidence is low
(b) The first goal - In December, Huet stops that shot in his sleep
(c) The Penalties - uh, enough guys. Penalties are momentum killers that keep the offensive players on the bench
(d) Samsonov not playing - I had no expectations he would play 20 minutes but I think he should have been on the 4th line last night.

The Ugly:
(a) No transition game - Habs have had no transition game which means no odd man rushes. Odd man rushes lead to easier goals. The Habs have to work extra hard to score because they are playing in the offensive zone, cycling with all 5 defenders back and most importantly, not using their speed. This, to me, is a big reason that the Habs have stuggled this season at 5 on 5.
(b) Powerplay - Just no results
(c) Confidence - This is a fragile team and you can see it on the ice. They are not skating, they are squeezing the stick
(d) No Markov - We realize just how important he is when he is out of the line-up. He is the #1 priority this offseason. He must be re-signed, even if BG has to overpay a bit

As I think about it, the more I wonder if the Habs need to let both Souray AND Rivet go this offseason and go out and get a bonafide #2 2-way puck moving d-man. I don't know who is an UFA or might be available via trade but I would be comfortable with a D of Markov, Komisarek, Bouillion, Dandenault, Streit and an upgrade to Souray.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote