View Single Post
Old
02-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
With all due respect to Koivu... I was at the Bruins game Saturday and he was anything but Montreal's best player. I am not sure that Montreal can ever win a cup with Ribeiro and Koivu as their two top centres. I am fond of both players, but neither has that "superior player" clout. With the future riding on Ribeiro, Ryder, Bulis, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kastsitstyn and co. at forward... I was wondering if the Habs couldn't acquire yet another forward in that age group (under 25) for Koivu (29).

And who is going to lead this young team, certainly not Ribeiro seeing as how he is very inconsistent and still has much maturing to do in attitude and work ethic. Zednik, well he is getting older so I guess fans will want him gone in a year or so, Bulis not a leader type, Souray, well I am glad he is playing well, but his health is as much or not more of a concern than Koivu.

Youngsters need veteran leadership and stability. Getting rid of a captain, leader, inspirational player sends a terrible message about the organization. Youngsters need a winning environment, something Montreal is starting to build, and yes that is with Koivu leading the way. Trading Koivu would be another step back, and frankly Montreal will never get market value for him.