View Single Post
02-14-2014, 11:40 PM
vCash: 500
This thread just happens to come up after he has a 3 point game against Norway

He's good. He's a real solid young player, but I just don't see him being a number 1. I just don't know how much better he's going to get. He's obviously smart, or he wouldn't be playing in the league at 19, but that will only take you so far. His physical skills are pretty average across the board. He's an okay skater. That was one of his biggest knocks coming out. He had a real choppy, unorthodox stride. It has been ironed out a good bit, but his top end speed is good not great. Same with his shot. Good not great. Decent puck skills, but I see him more as a 2nd unit PP guy than a 1st (especially when Pouliot gets established).

Look he might turn out to be better than Laughton, I just don't know if Maatta has the same success here as he has/will have in Pittsburgh (not that this thread was created due to his play in Pittsburgh). He gets to play behind one of the best if not the best offense teams in the league that controls the play the majority of the time. He's also been eased into the NHL game- something that probably would not have happened here.

Before the draft I saw Maatta as a mid-pairing guy. I still think that's what he will be. Maybe he becomes a #2 and gets paired with Letang, but I don't see him ever anchoring the 1st pair. Again, he's a solid, but unspectacular player. He doesn't have that one standout trait. He's not a pure shutdown guy. He's not a pure offensive guy. He's just a solid safe two-way player. Surely that's something we could use right now, but I'll wait a few years. Also, if the Flyers had taken Maatta, there's no guarantee they take Morin this year. Morin has a chance to be a #1. He also is much more risky, but I'm OK with that.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote