View Single Post
Old
02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
In evaluating the progress of a player I am sure that organizations must consider both the age of the player and the amount of experience he has had at various levels along with his skill set to determine what kind of upside he might have.

Here's what I am getting at. Mike McCarron has 11 goals and 15 assists along with 103 penalty minutes in his first 53 games of hockey at the CHL level. In his first season, Milan Lucic had 9 goals and 10 assists in his first 62 games at the CHL level.

It's true that Lucic put up his numbers as a 17 year old while McCarron is 18 but we also don't know about the physical and emotional development of each player, nor much about their playing situation with regard to ice time and line mates.

I am not trying to say that McCarron will become another Lucic but following his progression could be interesting. Both are big bodied players who may take a bit longer to develop than average. Because their situations and organizations are different, I also doubt that McCarron would make the leap from junior to the NHL.

In any case, it will be interesting to watch because there hasn't bee anyone like McCarron in the organization for a long, long time. Personally, I would be thrilled if McCarron even came close to being another Lucic, even if it would take an extra couple of years of development.
McCarron will never have Lucic's shot, but he'll used on the PK and will have a better défensive game, if he makes it to the bigs.