View Single Post
02-15-2014, 04:37 PM
McDavid Cometh
McDNicks17's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,823
vCash: 1115
The New Arena Thread

Last one hit 1k.

Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I'm totally fine with that. If you watch the Olympic games between good teams like Russis-USA today it's pretty clear the extra ice doesnt add much to the game. Teams collapse around the net, there's a little more room on the perimeter but less physical contact. Less hitting more transitions back and forth but no more actual scoring chances.
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
We're talking stadium vs Arena here though. Arena sq footage is more costly than Stadium so that comparison doesn't really work.

As to the latter point people will be surprised when they figure out how much of a proportion of seats in the new build are premium or luxury seats. There won't be many seats for Joe Hockey fan. This is a blueblood leveraged pricing build.
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I would have thought the new arena would provide a bigger upgrade in seat width than that.

For example, all general seating at Investors Group Field is 21 inches in width and even the new budget-concious Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton will have 22-inch wide seats.

The 1000 seats that are 21 inches high at Rogers place probably will be the club seats so only available to the rich folks or tier 1++ in Kevin-Lowe speak.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Saddledome and MTS Centre in Winnipeg both can convert to Olympic size if needed but it's a completely unnecessary feature now that ice rinks are allowed to be NHL sized for International events on North American soil.
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly the width of the seats doesn't really matter all that much. Make them 23 inches wide won't really matter if the seat in front of you is too close.

Totally different ball of wax. NHL isn't going to have different ice surface sizes unless they are forced to. It is crazy to expect the rink to change at this point. The time to implement this was back in the the early 90's when teams started making new barns. But with over half the arenas in the league being built between 93-99 you pretty much have to wait until those arenas are ready to be replaced to implement a change like that.

What would be the point of us stopping at hybrid ice surface anyway? At that point you might as well have it designed to international specs.

Not sure what it would cost to have an ice surface that can change sizes, but that's about the only thing I could see the NHL allowing.
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I think the NHL as a league really missed the boat on this issue in the past 10-15 years. This should have been addressed when the wave of new arenas first started being built. With Edmonton being one of the last cities to build an arena I think it's too late to do anything about it. I can't see the league interested in having one arena with different dimensions than the rest of them. They were thrilled when the Sabres moved out of the old auditorium because it was smaller than regulation.

Baseball stadiums may have different dimensions in the outfield but the infields, with the exception of pitchers mounds I suppose, are identical because that's where most of the play is. That isn't messed with. A throw across the diamond from third to first is the same everywhere as is a catchers throw to second base. If you changed that in a few parks it would be too much of an advantage for one team. I think it would be the same thing for a hockey rink. Like I said, it would be a different story if everybody was playing under those conditions. That ship sailed about fifteen years ago.
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I disagree. It does matter. I got a friend who is overweight and loves watching oiler games, but he can't enjoy sitting in Rexall Place because the chairs are very uncomfortable. He's not HUGE but he has to sit closer to the edge of his seat to even feel remotely comfortable. And we all know everyone MUST sit back in their seat. Plus then theres the people who sit next to you who touch you because they got no room to move their arms or even get their wallet out of their pockets because of those stupid armrests. If they aren't gonna make the seats 22 inches wide, then at LEAST have moveable armrests! would make it a LOT more enjoyable.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote