View Single Post
Old
02-16-2014, 03:15 PM
DrJenniferHanson
Cursed By A Gypsy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Did you read the next line I wrote after the one you quoted?

"Mind you..Marner may be at center next year...regardless, it's shaping up for McCarron to be playing a top six role next season, along with power play and hopefully penalty killing duties."

Anyway - nothing you wrote discounts the possibility of McCarron vying for the top center spot, the opportunity might well be there for him. A lot will depend on how he continues to progress and how much work he does in the summer.

Ryan Rupert was a Leaf draft pick, they aren't going to want him returning for a fifth year in London, time for him to take the next step to pro. Their other top offensicve center besides Horvat has been Tierney, and he'll be gone as well.

I have a feeling Rupert's brother Matt will follow his twin, but even if he doesn't and surprisingly returns for a fifth season...more likely he's playing the wing, same for Welychka if he returns as he's played most of the past month on McCarron's wing. At the very least they would likely be part of a second line in London next season.

Besides - how do you know Welychka is 'locked in'? He had a major improvement this season..maybe he gets a minor pro opportunity, and if he does the Hunters aren't going to try to stop him.

You are also discounting the possibility that over the next 40 games or so, this summer, and the start of his second OHL season that McCarron may not improve. He's already done that during this season..next year he'll go from a raw rookie to a 6-6 OHL vet...I expect there to be a large jump in his offensive confidence...and resultant opportunities, especially when he's playing a top-six role, which even you concede is a distinct possibility.
I agree with the bulk of this post. There is a difference in language between your original post and this rebuttal. "will be the top returning Center at this point" [to which I responded] is distinctly different than "the opportunity might well be there for him". I disagree with the former, but second the latter.

Nothing I wrote discounts the possibility of McCarron landing the 1C, but it does decrease the likelihood. Remember the original quote I responded to was "will be the top returning center at this point", which is different than the claim of possibility. Your point that the Ruperts and Welychka have spent more time at Wing the last 3 weeks is correct, but the historical sample size still points the arrow in their direction. You may be right that 2 (or all 3) may make the AHL, but the overwhelming consensus is that at least 2 return. For reference, that topic's been discussed ad nauseum on the Knights' thread and elsewhere, so I disagree with the "if either Rupert surprisingly returns" notion. Given the track records, dynamics (i.e. who's billeted under the coach), London's historical seniority pecking order, etc., I'd be surprised if those returnees are excluded from the 1C considering the precedence.

I in no way discounted McCarron's (past and future) improvements. I elaborated on 5 areas where I've observed marked improvements.