View Single Post
02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Up the Irons
vCash: 408
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I agree with this. It doesn't take 4-5 years to see whether a top forward prospect will have an impact or not... sure many forwards don't come into their full impact potential until their mid 20's but they are contributing solidly well before that... like RNH, Hall, Eberle have and like many, many other forwards (Couturier, Landeskog etc) have done.

Dmen I could see taking a few more years but with high end forwards you usually can see whether or not they are going to have an impact before 4-5 years.
but often takes 4 or 5 years to actually make an impact. RNH is not, at this moment, an impact player and he is about to complete his 3rd season. I seriously doubt Reinhart will be an impact player before 2017. If he is, he is the exception (ie, Toews), not the norm.

Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honestly what do you think the Oilers get for that pick? Say Ekblad and Reinhart are off the board and the Oilers traded their #3 pick.

I think people overestimate what teams would give up for a pick like that. Do you think they give up a legit #2 C or a top pairing dman... or a big gritty physical top 6 winger?

If a team is buying a lottery ticket on a player like DalColle or Draisaitl they aren't likely going to give up an established top NHL player for that.

People will then say... ya but a package deal would be different.. say Gagner + that #3 pick for example. Well maybe. Even then though would a team give up a legit top pairing dman for that package?

Do you get a Yandle or Myers for that? Maybe.
Do you get a Couturier for that? Maybe

Do those trades help your team... maybe... nothing is certain just like keeping and making that pick isn't a certainty either.

Do you make those deals? Maybe... maybe not though as you just might be better off with the pick and getting that ELC player and letting him develop and then dealing the other assets you were going to trade away for other pieces.
it's a tough decision, no doubt. Obviously if the trade isn't there you can't do it. But they should be of the mindset, right now, that if Ekblad isn't there we want to move the pick. That is plan A. Actually using the pick is plan B, or should be. Adding another 18 year old is not what this organization should be looking to do, especially when one considers the Oilers' despicable record of developing players improperly.

the here and now should be more important than the future. Next year counts!!! I've had it up to here with this obscure future.