View Single Post
Old
02-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Blindside9711

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Actually, Therien is not that bad. The negative hype surrounding him this year is unreal. He is our 7th D man right now with the acquisition of Markov, but come on! He has been solid all year. On virtually any other team he would be a good 5-6th D-man, and would crack the top 4 in about half the non contenders. He has played an average of almost 19 minutes a game, is a +7(7th overall on the team) and always gets time on the penalty kill. Hitchcock apparently disagrees with the fans on his play this season.

I'm just sick of the bandwagon mentality on these boards. Its become a mantra that people repeat over and over, without really even watching him play half the time. Doesnt matter if he has a great game or not. He gives away the puck, which every defender does, and people are talking about it for weeks. What the fans really want is a guy like Marchment, who consistently makes terrible mistakes, takes him self out of position, takes bad penalties, but occasionally rams people into the boards head first.
Therien's bad, Marchment's worse... I don't want to see a guy like Marchment here, but Therien never plays the body. Every live game I go see, I find myself saying "Be smart Chris... Take the body Chris... Tie that guy up Chris... Therien you useless sack of crap!" He's 6'5", 230 lbs and plays like friggen Muggsy Bogues. As a vet, he has to know to pin the guy on the boards, eliminate the man in front of the net, and rub the rushing winger into the glass. He does none of the above... Add to that, his constant turnovers, brutal first pass attempts that end up as icing calls and blown coverage... He's just prime for the Trade Therien threads after his play over the last couple seasons.