View Single Post
Old
02-18-2014, 03:42 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I can't see how we can afford Stastny over the long term at 6 to 7 million / 7 years or whatever huge contract he's going to sign over the summer. We have no defense and no legitimate #1 goalie. At some point that contract will be a cap killer when we need to resign other younger players coming off RFA deals.

I don't disagree with the sentiment that Couturier would go a long ways to sure up our center ice position. However i don't think giving up on a player like Eberle is the right course of action.

Vanek got a 1st a 2nd and Matt Moulson for the Sabres. If the Sens wanted that sure i would do it. However in reality the Sens have been pretty clear that they are in a win now mode. See LeBrun's article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-to-make-deals

For the Sens it makes no sense to trade Spezza as they can't replace him easily with free agency or with other players in their system.

Therefore, i think the only way you get Spezza is at the trade deadline next year if the Sens season implode and they are out of the playoffs and the Oilers are in a playoff position. Both are extreme reaches imo.

The article is more than wishful thinking its mostly unrealistic speculation.
Our ownership has been one of the cheapest in the past history when it comes to spending actual dollars on the players.. This has been masked by caphits of ELC in past but it is about time we started spending near the cap. At deadline the Oilers could take on 30M in contracts and still be under the cap.
Throwing 6Mx7 at a player like Statsny would not kill us..

There is no 7M Dman available this offseason.. and guys like PEtry and J.Schultz wont be commanding big raises after the play this season. For goalies.. we should be able to find a decent for around 4M if not cheaper. Scrivens might command more if he continues to play great but the Oilers have most of its core locked up and still has 33M of cap space going forward.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote