View Single Post
Old
02-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Your description of Eakins perfectly describes Mactavish's coaching philosophy over the course of the 9 years he ran the Oiler's bench, which then answers the second question of why Mact would be enamoured with Eakins after one interview.

Tearing down players and discarding anyone who didn't fit the narrow definition of what inflexible coach thinks a hockey player should be was the norm in Edmonton for a very long time. It's unsurprising that the coach who brought that mentality to the bench for so long, made it his first move as a new GM to re-establish that ideology within the organization.
I suppose. that philosophy in Mact's time was understandable under the circumstances. low budget players like Greer, Moreau, Rem Murray, etc, and grind it out, out work the opposition, dive on the grenade style made sense.

I guess, if mact wants to use the assets he's got to get more of these type of players, while still keeping at least 4 of his elite players, it could work. its a solid theory. put can it be done and soon enough to keep me (and Hall/Eberle) interested? He can't allow this team to finish in the bottom five again. His 7 months to drastically improve this team.