View Single Post
Old
02-19-2014, 01:11 AM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Eh, I think that's kind of a strawman arguement. A person is going to train for 4 years and then sabotage their medal chances by going to some (likely) crappy bar the night before their event? Nah.

I mean I'm sure the athletes would be open to partying after their event is over but that's about it.

We have come a long way, there's no doubt about it.

Also in the past how many medals were we probably denied because we weren't allowed to send our best athletes from our best sport (hockey)? I'm sure the Germans or Norwegians would throw a nice fit if the best athletes from their top sport were suddenly not allowed to compete.
Well...a maximum of one per Olympics...so not many.

Overall I'm not disappointed with how Canada has done. We could have been better, but it hasn't been a disaster either. Getting a medal in alpine skiing and getting two in men's individual long track was big. Those are prestigious events that we seldom medal in. I'll take those over snowboard half pipe or slopestyle medals.

Basically, I want to beat the Americans in medals. They are our best comparable. Other countries rack up medals by dominating single disciplines that have a stupidly high number of events. If there was curling with only 6 ends, curling with 2, 4, and 6 rocks, hockey with 2 periods, hockey shootout, hockey 4 on 4, hockey 3 on 3.... we'd do the same.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote