View Single Post
Old
02-19-2014, 02:29 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
See, as a Canadian I think the 20 speed skating medals Holland has accrued at these Olympics is more impressive than any Gold medal in hockey ever could be.

Canada is more than just a hockey nation and its importance is not the be all and end all IMO. It is no more or less important than any other sport in the Olympics even if it is given an inflated sense of worth.
Winning all those medals is extremely impressive, they dominate in speed skating, not the Winter Olympics. I just think that if we're ranking the countries performance at the Olympics it should represent that.

And having so many variations of an event certainly doesn't diminish the value of an medal placing at all, but in my opinion it just doesn't make for a good national ranking. If you could find an overall winner for each sport and rank them based on that it would seem to make more sense.

It's the same thing I see in the summer where there are 17 different swimming events. So 17 events, mens + womens, bronze/silver/gold, and they're handing out over 100 medals for just swimming (not including synchronized). That can have massive influence on the medal count. Speed skating or any other sport with so many events is no more or less important than any other sport in the Olympics even if it is given an inflated sense of worth.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote