Thread: Player Discussion: Luke Schenn
View Single Post
Old
02-20-2014, 04:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Meltzer: What jvr does is no reflection on schenn

Meltzer's thoughts today on the JVR and L Schenn debate.

Time to kick up some dust...

Not crazy about the polarizing classifications with respect to Flyers "fandom." I don't deny those characterizations are non-existent but while I agree that what JVR does in not a reflection on Schenn, I do think that it is a reflection on the GM. I think it is a fair point and that is more my contention in this debate.

It's the GM's job not to undervalue his assets as he clearly did with JVR by "selling low" and as a result not maximizing your return which many of us said Holmgren didn't do... including myself. Also, I noted in one of my initial posts at the time of the trade how I didn't feel Luke's improved 1st pass and right handed shot was enough..I wanted a more mobile PMD especially after letting Carle walk. Additionally, the 1 for 1 trade was definitely not enough (hence the selling low characterization).

Seems Bill agrees....

Sure we can move on and focus on what the current team needs to do to contend with Luke Schenn being an integral part....but Bill should know better that it's not that easy especially since this is not a one-off that the Flyers have given up on players that have gone on to flourish elsewhere. Couple JVR with how Bob was handled and how Bryz was really a catalyst for a lot of the missteps that followed the complete trip up that was his signing....well it becomes a bit more understandable to understand some of the more measured gripes associated with the Schenn and JVR trade....

Having said all this....wish JVR and the US team all the luck in the world...but definitely don't wish the Leafs the same!

Quote:
For some, the success that van Riemsdyk has enjoyed for Team USA at the Olympics in Sochi has, for some, reopened the debate from two summers ago about the wisdom of the Flyers sending JVR to Toronto in the one-for-one trade for Schenn.

From day one, I understood why the Flyers made the trade. They wanted to address their blueline, adding a righthanded stick to the defense corps (something they lacked and the New Jersey Devils exploited in their forechecking strategies during the 2012 Eastern Conference Semifinals) and get a young defenseman who could eat minutes.

Personally, I would have rather seen the Flyers add another puck mover to the mix, especially when they ended up losing Matt Carle to unrestricted free agency that summer. I also thought the Flyers were selling low on JVR, who was coming off a poor year that was basically ruined by a series of significant injuries (a torn oblique muscle, a concussion, a broken foot and a nagging hip problem). Of course, the Leafs were also selling low on Schenn, a player who had once been touted as a potential elite shutdown defender.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-More/45/58105

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 02-20-2014 at 04:24 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote