View Single Post
02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I think it's all but certain that Richards gets bought out due to contract length/cap hit. I'm in the camp that Stastny will be vastly overpaid, and I want no part of it. However, I'd be surprised if the Rangers didn't get involved. I'm down at 6.5 mill for 5 years, but with the recent landscape of the NHL I could see him getting elite front line center money.

As far as a Stepan for Kesler swap, I'd pass. At the moment their point production is similar. Stepan is 23, so controllable for a longer period at a reasonable number. On the other hand, Kesler is 29, which isn't awful, but in 2 years he'll be a UFA. You either have to give him a gigantic deal or let him walk.

I think Kesler is easily the superior player today, but in two years who knows. With the financial nature of the league right now, I'd pass. Again, not criticizing Kesler the player - he's great - but long term I think it's a bad deal for NYR.
Stastny is making 6.6 now. There's no reason to think that he's going to take a pay cut of any sort to sign anywhere.

Additionally, elite front line centers are getting contracts that start with an 8 not 7. Stastny will not an 8 to start his annual salary.

Finally, If Richards was a 28 year old player making 6.66 per producing the numbers he is producing now, I would have no issues keeping him for the next 6-7 years.

Stastny being a better player today, will and should get more in terms of annual dollars than Richards. He's a more competent and reliable player in defensive zone.