View Single Post
Old
02-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Baby Nilsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Good always helps take the pressure off any other problems in your team. Scrivens and Bryzgalov have both made the net way more stable and its something we no longer have to worry about (this season anyway).

I've been kicking this around in my head though, in lieu of the romours that Mact was trying to get Maurice here as an associate coach, and mentor for Eakins. Say hypothetically Maurice agreed to this, wouldn't that neuter Eakins presence in the locker room? He would be labelled head coach, but Maurice is the one with the wisdom, so the players would be going to him with questions, and to get him to teach/show them certain things on the ice. This would be the situation even if the name is not Maurice. So my idea is this because with Eakin's contract, he is here for a while. In the off-season demote him to the associate coach role (and fire Buchburger!) , and hire the new person who is an NHL veteran as the true head coach, and have Eakins mentored this way for 3 seasons. By now (and by then) Eakins has gotten to know the players in the room, which keeps some continuity in the room, and he would learn more about coaching at the NHL level. I think this would be easier on the players in the room too, as this would be the proper set up for the chain of command.

Having Eakins as head coach, and the mentor the associate, when the mentor is clearly superior, is improper and stupid in my mind. Its putting the horse behind the wagon.
So.. Do they just fire the mentor after three years?