View Single Post
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
vCash: 1323
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I saw that Ellis "rumbling" in another thread. Ugh. Schultz >> Ellis at defence, and that disaster would simply be hilarious to watch. Well, for turned-masochistic Oilers fans.

The numbers and stats show otherwise - i.e. he's elite, and you should pick him up if you have the opportunity, but I'd be seriously cautious in picking up Roman Josi. I'm nervous about players playing with excellent D partners (MAB, anyone?) and I've always been underwhelmed by his game. I didn't think much of it at the Olympics either. Jmho.

Would he be an improvement on our d-corps? Definitely. Is that worth J. Schultz (his potential his higher than Josi's play, imo)/Petry (much maligned player is the only competent D man we have)/the 1st? Absofreakingnot. Especially if you're giving Gagner away (gifting, really, no matter how much you hate him) and not getting a centre back, you're going to need someone to step into that role for the next season, the 1st can get you someone who can.

That's the bigger problem with the Gagner rumour - who's his replacement? Nothing in the pipeline suggests that will be filled (Lander notwithstanding - the organization seems to have loved him and now hates him) and the crop of FAs are very slim to none in the #2C department. Unless you want to severely overpay Stastny or Grabo, bring in an aging borderline #2C like Jokenin/Roy, promote Arco/Lander to a role their NHL data suggests will probably tax them and thus the team, or do something radical (Hall to centre, verison 2), you better be getting a centre back with the Gagner trade.

I've trusted MacT so far. I doubt he'd make a stupid decision. I'll refrain from making a proposal, this isn't really the thread, but I'd rather target Anaheim.

EDIT: realizing Petry hasn't been signed, if they offer you Josi for Gagner and Petry, I guess I'd take it.
Petrys an RFA coming off a regressed year. I wouldn't use his contract status as a reason to trade him.