View Single Post
Old
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I saw that Ellis "rumbling" in another thread. Ugh. Schultz >> Ellis at defence, and that disaster would simply be hilarious to watch. Well, for turned-masochistic Oilers fans.

The numbers and stats show otherwise - i.e. he's elite, and you should pick him up if you have the opportunity, but I'd be seriously cautious in picking up Roman Josi. I'm nervous about players playing with excellent D partners (MAB, anyone?) and I've always been underwhelmed by his game. I didn't think much of it at the Olympics either. Jmho.

Would he be an improvement on our d-corps? Definitely. Is that worth J. Schultz (his potential his higher than Josi's play, imo)/Petry (much maligned player is the only competent D man we have)/the 1st? Absofreakingnot. Especially if you're giving Gagner away (gifting, really, no matter how much you hate him) and not getting a centre back, you're going to need someone to step into that role for the next season, the 1st can get you someone who can.

-----

That's the bigger problem with the Gagner rumour - who's his replacement? Nothing in the pipeline suggests that will be filled (Lander notwithstanding - the organization seems to have loved him and now hates him) and the crop of FAs are very slim to none in the #2C department. Unless you want to severely overpay Stastny or Grabo, bring in an aging borderline #2C like Jokenin/Roy, promote Arco/Lander to a role their NHL data suggests will probably tax them and thus the team, or do something radical (Hall to centre, verison 2), you better be getting a centre back with the Gagner trade.

I've trusted MacT so far. I doubt he'd make a stupid decision. I'll refrain from making a proposal, this isn't really the thread, but I'd rather target Anaheim.

EDIT: realizing Petry hasn't been signed, if they offer you Josi for Gagner and Petry, I guess I'd take it.
Petrys an RFA coming off a regressed year. I wouldn't use his contract status as a reason to trade him.