View Single Post
Old
02-24-2014, 04:13 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, I don't know how this became the discussion in anycase. On slow days here (and who would think this would be one) it seems anything I state just becomes a focal point of 20 replies. lol

Why isn't anybody talking about the GREAT WIN TODAY!

Great game, great team. Doughty continues to be a god.
Doughty, Crosby, Toews, Bergeron et all were great today.

I would say the only player I wasn't impressed with was Vlasic and to some degree Rick Nash.
that game may be the most perfectly played game I have ever seen. Text book execution, from start to finish. As close to a mistake free as you can get. the Swedes were somewhat scary in the first, but were still out-played. after that is was total domination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I can appreciate this answer for sure. Thanks

As for who is coming down the pipe, it's not my issue. I'm not trying to predict the future. However, who knows how good some of the more recent draft picks will actually be, or if a player like Taylor Hall takes the next step. There are a lot of options out there for Canada. All I know is that from 1998-2004 the Canadians didn't win a single World Jr championship and now look at what we have - pure dominance on the highest level where many of those kids from that era of losing are now integral to gold medals. In 1998 Roberto Luongo didn't win a single game and the team placed 8th at the World Jrs. However he won gold in Vancouver.

The smart money is on Canada maintaining it's passion and high level of skill in the sport of hockey. No guarantee of success, but betting against them doesn't seem wise.
I can't see Canada ever being on the level of were the Slovaks or Czechs are now (good, but not likely to medal), or even where the Finns are (very good, top 4 or 3, but never thought of as top 2). We will always be a medal contender, and feared by all. This year I believe Canada was rated at number 4, but you gotta know that in the back of everyone's mind Canada (along with Swedes) were the most likely to win gold. What happened in this Olympics was not a surprise. We had the best lineup, top to bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
I always thought there was a greater risk in the refs overcompensating then Canada benefitting. It was a well called game imo, the reason I found it questionable having canadian refs was that IF there was a doubtful call, which happens most every game, you'd be facing a lot of talk if that was because the refs might be biased/overcompensating, however since Canada was so much better this never was a problem. I didn't think the Berglund hit was that bad, came from the side it wasn't really blindsided since Kunitz turned just before the hit, a bit sloppy from both players and worth 2 mins but not much more imo but sure I do carry bias. You get injured in hockey, it happens.

Canada was dominant, we didn't really put up much of a fight. Our forward crop just wasn't good enough to even frighten the brilliant canadian D. The only forward who looked like he could do anything was Kruger who really impressed me, very strong on the puck, great on face offs, great defensively and created more offense than I thought he would. Based on what I saw he's probably capable of playing a bigger role than he does in Chicago. The rest either looked slow and old; Sedin, Louie etc or just no good enough; Landeskog, Nyqvist, Silfverberg some guys held their own defensively, Hagelin, Jimmie E, but just didn't have the skill to produce offense. And our centers outside of Kruger were terrible.

Our d-men were ok in general, but the questionable choices made by our coach before the games, picking chemistry and "good guys" in the form of Oduya, Jonathan Eriksson and Tallinder over the better players in the form of Hedman and using OEL as a 7th D really backfired since Oduya started giving away pucks when TC picked up the pace and forechecked us hard and Erikssons mistake led to the goal that killed the game. Typical swedish coach who picks the safe players to create a good team instead of taking the chance with the more skilled player and maybe miss out on chemistry for the possibility of a team with higher ceiling. Imo Marts didn't truly go for the gold with those selections, he built a regular season team. He got badly outcoached in the final as well.

Lundqvist is fantastic and kept it from ending in an embarassing 6,7-0 loss.

Us swedes have an incredible D core to look forward to but 2-3 out of Filip Forsberg, Elias Lindholm, William Nylander, Alexander Wennberg, Andreas Johnsson better turn out elite offensive players or we'll lack the offensive power to challenge Canada going forward. Our only truly great forward is Zetterberg and he's getting up there in age and his back problems aren't promising. The Sedins have looked bad this season. Bäckström is still fairly young but not a man for the big games, juiced on allergy meds or not. Steen is a great two-way player but lacks the high end skill to create on his own. Landeskog projects as a great player, love him when he's on his game, but is more of the third guy on a top line than the guy who drives it, looked really lost in these olympics as well.

We didn't have an actual top line these games and that left us with no chance against a strong canadian team and unless some of the youngsters turn out that's probably going to be our achilles heel going forward. D wins championship, but when two teams carry great D you need the high end forwards to be gamebreakers. TC got that in spades. Sweden don't. Well deserved victory for Canada.
very insightful and honest post.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote