View Single Post
Old
02-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
The lack of Dmen in this draft won't have a bearing on Ekblad going #1 or later, the team picking #1 will. If Buffalo retains the first pick, I can't see them taking a RHD when they already have Myers and Ristolainen in the fold AND still need a 1C. The same can be said if Nashville wins the draft lottery (Weber, Jones). Winnipeg would be an interesting case as they have Bogo and Trouba, but also Little and Scheiffele down the middle, so we'll call them a coin flip. Every other team in the lottery is probably a lock to take Ekblad. But the D depth of the draft has no bearing, what does the team picking 1st care about what's available at 10th/15th/20th unless they have multiple 1sts?
I don't think the Oilers are a lock to take Ekblad if Gagner isn't in their long-term plans.

RNH isn't exactly big or healthy, and this is hopefully the last chance they get to solidify their center position. Reinhart or Bennet here would mean that the Oil are guaranteed to at least have a #1 c in the event anything else happens to RNH's shoulders. If RNH gets injured again and the Oil drafted Ekblad the team is unlikely to be a contender at all.

I know Ekblad is good but if the Oilers have good enough centers they can attract another "prime" Chris Pronger here and that's better than a "developing" Ekblad imo.