View Single Post
Old
02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
As long as Sather doesn't just hold onto them and lose them for nothing I can be swayed either way
Too many people apply the "can't hold onto them and lose them for nothing" logic like i universally applies to all teams. I don't believe it does.

Losing players for nothing is what small market teams can't afford to do because they can't afford to sign a replacement free agent or trade for a player with "too high" a salary to replace the player they let walk. The Rangers aren't in that boat. They can let Callahan walk if they want and seek a replacement in free agency or via trade over the summer. Of course, holding onto the player only matters if you think it makes a difference for the playoffs.

I think there are a lot of people here who have the attitude that "we're not winning the Cup this year, so trade Callahan for picks and prospects". I would rather see the Rangers make a smart acquisition (or two or three) to bolster the team for a playoff run and with that mindset, keeping Callahan becomes a greater benefit.