View Single Post
Old
02-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Mctopchowda
Survive

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
He's shown he can identify weaknesses (went after Schneider and Bernier in the offseason while posters, myself included, were defending Dubnyk), identify and fill needs (Gordon), trade away futures for proven NHLers (Perron), take some risks (Belov), move on when he realizes he's made a mistake (LaBarbera+Dubnyk), and is capable of fixing those mistakes (Bryzgalov+Scrivens). Just because there's no Ryan Suter in free agency begging to sign with the Oilers and no Jordan Staal forcing a trade to Edmonton doesn't mean MacT isn't doing his job. It just means that the pieces we need most aren't available for a reasonable price. At least he's actively trying to improve the club, which is more than we can say about Tambo.
The MacT hate here is ridiculous. If he can replicate last offseason and bring in a 2 top 6 player with grit or top 4 D and a quality bottom 6 player, all while giving up lesser picks/prospects thatd be money.

MacT has been one of the most active GMs in the league this past year, and has been involved in probably 60% of all trades. Not to mention all the FAs he went after

The Smid trade was questionable, but Horak has been very good in the AHL, and Smid has further regressed in Calgary, and is one the trade block again. It will be interesting to see what Burke gets. Even giant Flames homer Kent Wilson is seeing what Oiler fans saw this season

Quote:
Incredbily, Smid might be the worse player of the twi. The erstwhile Oiler seems to have gathered himself a lot of fans during his short time here in Calgary, but I'm not one of them. Smid is fearless, can seem to absorb a lot of pain and isn't afraid to mix it up here and there, but his weaknesses easily overwhelm his strengths. Aside from O'Brien, Smid is the slowest defender on the Flames blueline. He doesn't have any offensive upside and isn't very good at moving the puck. If something goes wrong with Smid on the ice - a bad bounce, a poor decision - he can't recover.

As a result, Smid has the worst possession rate of the Flames regular defenders this year. In addition, his contract stretches for another three seasons at an average of $3.6M per year. My guess is he's a replacement level defender (at best) by the time his deal terminates in 2016-17, a year in which he'll be owed $4M in salary.

Smid's heart is willing, but the actual ability is lacking and he seems to be on a downward spiral. Burke should see if he can pull a Douglas Murray with some team at the deadline desperate for blueline grit and move Smid for whatever he can get.
Hendricks is overpaid, but has kicked started the bottom two lines and brought a lot of heart

MacT has not been shy to address our needs. He has to move one of the forwards, and I trust hell make a solid trade