View Single Post
Old
02-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I agree here but the fact we treaded for MDZ really only supports moving one of the top three. The logical choice would be Weber. Why? Because if a bidding war does start between say Philly and the Oil and perhaps Tampa wanting in as well. The haul Weber would bring would solidify the offense in a couple years and the blueline would begin to peak at this same time. Our fanbase has never been thru this, and while we would not want to actively market Weber there are teams out there that have the pieces to put together a offer that has to be considered.

Switching out a RH defender for a LH defender just solidifies our top four to make room for Seth Jones to be able to preform on his natural side and brings him a young partner who can grow with him. To me the Klein trade had more to it than just a one for one trade.

Josi-Weber
Jones/Ellis-Klein
Ekholm-Ellis/Jones
Bartley

to

Josi-Weber
MDZ-Jones
Ekholm-Ellis
Bartley

That will be a much more solid top 4 in the near future than what we had with Klein and Jones playing his off-side or on the third pairing.

As for acquiring forward talent, I think we are still in our re-tooling process, but we've seen a lot of progress. In one year we acquired Jones, Forsberg and MDZ, these are moves showing us getting younger, but we can see the fabric of the team kind of setting itself up with a future core. Trading Legwand for a first and a B prospect like Taylor Beck gets us another first and another prospect who could be on the roster this year. It also sets up Wilson moving to center permanently giving us something like this soon.

Down the middle going from

Legwand
Fisher
Spaling
Gaustad

to

Fisher
Wilson
Spaling/Gaustad
Gaustad/Watson/Tweener

There will be growing pains, but I think we're better off getting another first and trying to move up to the top 5, or even try for Reinhart if we like him best than moving Weber and waiting for everybody to hit their peak at once.

I think a lot of people are focusing on this season and the next one and not looking any further ahead, but Weber is a great player who should have a very long prime, I don't think we have to worry about our window closing to have to panic and trade Weber.

I think it's Poile's intentions are clear with the moves he's made and will potentially make at the deadline/draft. I don't think Weber will be moved barring a very big package deal and I think we can expect to see some shuffling at the deadline.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote